Tuesday, April 17, 2007

More Camp

Camp Cockamamie was such a great experience that it is basically impossible to only talk about it in one post, so I'm talking about it again. Here are a few of my favorite moments from camp:
In Tina's class about color and dying and what goes into it all she says something along the lines of "If you don't like gauge just stop." Not stop doing swatches but stop hating them. I thought this was a very straightforward approach to the gauge swatch thing. (I just recently got into swatches and I love having my little basket full of them.)
Any moment with Cat was pretty classic. That lady is like the Darwin of knitting. Everyone is happily knitting their socks from the top down, or the toe up, whatever and she comes along and not only says you don't have to do it from either of those directions but you don't have to do in/decreases like that either. She's a very clever woman that is not quite right in the head and I only wish that it weren't more expensive to print longer patterns and books because I think the limitations on print space are what really make patterns sub-par. If you don't have one or all of her books go now, right now and get one. My favorite is the Second Treasury of Magical Knitting.
When, during the show and tell of fabulous handknits, Stephanie was not only proud of designing her fabulous wedding shawl because "that makes her super smart" but also that she got the yarn for only $3.50 Canadian. Not bad.
Then there was the time that Stephanie told us about Intarsia in the round and you could almost see the brain matter melting out the ears of everyone in the room. I've yet to try it, but man oh man the possibilities. Words are insufficient.

No comments: