Thursday, May 17, 2007

Monkey See, Monkey Do.

A full 5 days after I started, I'm finished.
Pattern: Monkey by Cookie A. from Knitty.
Yarn: South West Trading Company's Tofutsies. 50% wool, 25% soysilk, 22.5% cotton, 2.5% chitin.
Needles: size 2. I do everything on two circular needles. I haven't used dpns for about 4 years, and I've only been knitting for 5.
Notes: This pattern is great, easily memorized and very quick. It's a great pattern to show off handpainted and self striping yarns. On that note, this yarn and this pattern weren't necessarily made for each other. Only half the plies change colors, the other half stay the same throughout the entire ball. This makes for a tweedy look that I love, but does mar the pattern. The short of the long is that you have to get close up to really appreciate the pattern. Though, the sheer joy of knitting the pattern makes up for that.


Tofutsies makes a great drapy fabric, lovely and soft and all things good in the world. These are going to the be perfect warm weather socks, lightweight and not so much wool that they are too warm. My feet are loving them as we speak.
_
Let's enjoy the gusset. Ever since camp I've had almost perfect gussets. I even manage to get both sides to look the same. All you do is pick up all the stitches before knitting them, and make sure you twist them when you do knit them. On one side you pick up front to back and on the other back to front.
The only problem is that with this gauge the fabric on the bottom of the heel is doing that weird separating thing where the stitches get all stretched out. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

No comments: