Friday, September 7, 2007

let there be Kaffe.


Pattern: Undulating Rib Socks by Ann Budd in Favorite Socks from Interweave.

Yarn: The wonderful love child of Regia and Kaffe Fasset in the Landscape Earth colorway.

Needles: size 1 for the feet and size 2 for the legs.

Notes: I've never used Regia before but I quite enjoyed it. A little splitty, but otherwise a delightful sock yarn.
_
On the first sock I did the leg on size 1 needles and while I could get it over my heel it was a bit of a trial. I knit the second sock leg with size 2 needles and had no trouble getting it on. This forced me to suck it up and rip out the leg of the first sock and re-knit on size 2. This was the best decision and now I think I'll wear these socks all the time.
_
Going up in needle size meant I didn't have to do any tricky math to add more stitches or re-knit my heel flaps as well to add more stitches. I don't know if I would have thought of that if I hadn't already heard of the idea from smarter knitters than myself.

My notes weren't good enough to synchronize my undulations exactly but they are 'close enough for government work' as my mother says. I didn't necessarily want the color stripes to match so I told myself I would just knit from the beginning of the skein and be happy with what I got. Lo and behold I am.

3 comments:

Linda said...

Congratulations on your new job! It's a beautiful ship. I looked at the calender for Lynx. Are you planning to stay on all the way to San Diego? Maybe I will plan a trip down there (my son lives there) and I can come and see your ship (and you too). I was glad to see there will be another sock camp. I hope to see you there (if not in San Diego first).Good luck with your christmas knitting. Bon Voyage! Linda Welch

Jane said...

Socks look great! I love Kaffe's colors. They especially look at home in your Crocs...

Christine Olea said...

Thanks, my love for these socks is immense. My crocs are also new! You may have noticed my pink J-Lo diamond in one.